Linked Content Types

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:27 PM
Hello,

I saw mentions of this in the documentation, but not much detail. Does anybody know how I do a parent/child relationship in an App? Here's the situation:

I would like to create an "Assets" list of computer hardware (Device Type, Serial Number, etc.). Then, I'd like each asset to have any number of "Asset History" records (Owner, Location, etc.).

I saw that I can add "History" as a field in "Asset", make it an entity type with the entity being "Asset History". But, this seems messy: the editor shows them like they're sortable tags, and the history records for Asset A are available to add for Asset B.

I also tried making an "Asset" field in "Asset History" and going about it that way... that works, but the data entry process is messier. For example, I'd always want the Asset to be invisible when adding a history record because it should be using a default value from the page/context or something... if that makes sense.

I assume this is a normal use case for apps... So, any recommendations or ideas?

Thanks,

Mike
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2016 at 10:51 AM
As always you're in luck, there are many ways to do this. But I won't be able to describe them all in detail, each will result in a different user experience so it depends on what you want your editor to feel.

Please give a more detailed description of the entities why you have, how they should relate, and how the user should experience this relationship (so if he should add sub-items in the normal page or in the edit-dialog, etc.)
Feb 27, 2016 at 8:34 PM
Thanks... good to know.

I'm not sure how to describe it... I'm picturing that people would enter "Assets". Then, we could look at a specific asset in detail - much like the news "detail" view. Then, on that view, we'd see a tabular list of "history" entries that go with that asset. There, the user could add more history entries as needed.

Does that help/make sense?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2016 at 9:54 PM
I think I'm getting the picture. First of all, you would usually map children using the Entity / Content-Item field. This is also how you would map an author or tags or other stuff together.

What's missing in 08.02.03 but should be in 08.03 going beta next week is a list of "private" children. This is the same as the current entity-field, but without the ability to choose existing children; existing-children make sense when you want to select pre-existing data like authors, but not when you want history or recipe-step records.

Make sense? Please try the entities now and also try the private-children in the next beta, I would appreciate the feedback.