Page Import Export

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:56 PM
When using DNN import/export page feature and 2sxc, the content is copied over correctly, but the 2sxc data is linked. Is there a way to not have that behavior, or unlink the data?

Export page with 2sxc content
Import to new page
Edit content on new page
Content on exported page is changed
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2016 at 3:25 PM
I assume you want to create template-pages for the editor.

The correct behaviour is to create a special template page, which shows only demo-content-items. So basically you never pressed "edit" on any module, only closed the view-selector. This way the module is still clean - and an export/import will work as expected.
Feb 8, 2016 at 4:56 PM
That sort of makes the point of being able to export a page moot. That would in essence be no different than adding a page and dropping 2sxc modules on it, which would also just show demo content.

Importing a page template with predefined content is a huge time saver, but a copying a page with demo content is not the same. The demo content would have to be very generic.
Feb 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM
Also, as a point of reference, I am talking only about Content, not apps. Ideally, when creating a page from Default DNN import, the modules should be independent yet contain the same values. I would hazard a guess that "Add Existing Module: Copy" has the same issue.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2016 at 8:38 AM
I understand the wish - there is a core problem that DNN doesn't have different ways of exporting the content - so it's not possible to provide different kinds of export/import for all these scenarios.

For example, when you export a site to re-import elsewhere - then this export shouldn't re-create content for every page, because if some content was shared, then the destination wouldn't have shared content any more (because each page would create a full copy).

So I agree: your desired scenario isn't well handled - sorry :(.

I don't have a quick solution; I'm sure we could figure something out, but to do it properly would take 2-3 days of work.
Feb 16, 2016 at 7:39 PM
I do understand the issues you are sharing. However, (for what it's worth) I think that the ability to import/export templated pages is a higher use case than a whole site. Thank you for your thoughts.
Feb 23, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Yeah I noticed this as well

Had a bung of page templates created and then I noticed that the 2scx was not a new copy with same content as it was with all the other modules but a referenced module.

The way I do it now is I create my base pages and then instead of page tempaltes i just use the copy page feature and check all the modules as being new.

After that I can modify my newly created pages.

Not the most optimal way to do this but it works for now

If I ever win the lottery or get richer clients I have some ideas for sponsored development :)