Suggestions for approaching this issue?

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:25 PM
I'm new to 2sxc, but have been using Form and List for years.

Is there one or more templates or examples I might start from to do the following? Basically I want to capture forms from a wide variety of sources in to our volunteer Emergency Operations Center, and then display summaries or generate alerts depending on what's come in.

Possible inputs for these forms:
  • manual entry into a browser
  • from RSS feeds,
  • from emails
There may be a few form 'types', so I can see doing some morphing (e.g., via XSLT?) to store all these varied inputs in one consistent format in the DB.

Then after sorting & filtering, I'd either forward some of these forms, or display summaries of them.
Jan 10, 2016 at 9:05 PM
Another approach to my same issue is whether anyone has implemented a Help Desk/Issue tracking solution using 2sxc. I'm checking those options out now too.
Coordinator
Jan 11, 2016 at 1:10 PM
Many roads lead to rome. Depending on the complexity and volume of your data I would recommend a different solution. What's your estimate on
  1. Total amount of entities (records)
  2. Frequency of human input
  3. Frequency of automated input
does the external data even get stored in your system, or stay external and just retrieve on use?
Jan 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM
Well it is totally sleepy around here, with monthly drills... but when the BIG EARTHQUAKE hits, we'll have ~10 (30 max?) people continually entering records that go into this log. Each record is primarily text of a few paragraphs, but certainly can have some photos and documents. But these are mostly human entered (typed) entries, so maybe 20 records per minute for the system to deal with?

An event would generate up to 10,000 entries.

I'm currently actually leaning towards Mantis as there's so much available off the shelf, though I'm new to php and would rather stay in the DNN ecosystem.

Thanks for the quick reply - and all your GREAT blog posts at DNN - truly fascinating!
Coordinator
Jan 11, 2016 at 4:16 PM
Your challenge has various components
  1. data storage
  2. data entry UI
  3. analytics
Basically I recommend starting simple, and if you hit a point where something doesn't scale or doesn't work - then grow on that.

Creating a custom data-structure and UI for it is very straightforward in 2sxc. Assuming the people adding data can be trusted (employees or similar) then you can even work with the generic default UI, which gets another great upgrade in 8.1. If you have special needs then create a custom javascript-based form and post the data through the standardized REST-API of 2sxc to save it.

--> that covers #1 and #2

Analytics / lists is very simple to do in 2sxc. If you have more advanced queries you can use either the visual query designer or do the same things in code - there with some more flexibility.

But in general I would start with the data storage and data entry, then build on that as you get more experienced.