Simple Content Module - is it possible to use it with a different Image Manager

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:18 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2015 at 4:19 PM
Hello, Daniel.

I am trying to get to learn how to use your software, 2sxc for DNN. In the Simple Content module I try to change images and here I get stuck, since clicking the button opens Telerik RAD Editor's Image Manager and this thing never worked in my DNN installation as described in this post Link

Is it possible to change the image manager that is called by the simple content form? Or perhaps you can give me an idea how to fix the Image Manager problem in the RAD Editor? I tried switching browsers, syncing folders, editing and saving the editor's configuration, checking file system permissions etc but nothing worked.

Thanks very much in advance,
Sep 24, 2015 at 4:44 PM
@Ascar

ATM there is no way to replace the image manager.

But I think your issue is simple - did you understand the instructions on http://www.dnnsoftware.com/forums/forumid/197/postid/518614/scope/posts#518614 - especially the part about recursive sync? Because you probably forgot the recursive...
Sep 24, 2015 at 5:11 PM
@iJungleBoy,

I believe I understood the thing about recursive syncing :) and I did it many times.

In fact in DNN 7.x the language changed somewhat and there is no checkbox for recursive option. I think what used to be Recursive sync is now nested under the Refresh Folders button and the recursive option is now called Sync this folder and subfolders. If this is what I had to do - yes synced and re-synced many times to no desired result.
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2015 at 5:19 PM
Ok. Here's one thing that often got me: Please set folder permissions on your top-level content-folder, and then make it apply these all the way down. By default DNN does something a bit weird, which sometimes leaves folders without permissions set. That can then cause the effect you're having.
Sep 24, 2015 at 5:22 PM
Oh well, this was the first thing I did. The DNN AppPool has full control of the content folder. Anyway, let me try this once again. Perhaps below the top level content folder permissions may be missing.
Coordinator
Sep 25, 2015 at 6:37 AM
Note that I'm talking about DNN-permissions, NOT NTFS permissions. If the dnn-file-list in the db doesn't have these permissions "stored" then it causes problems, even if the user would technically have no trouble accessing it.
Sep 25, 2015 at 10:35 AM
Thanks for this suggestion. Can you give me some advice on where to check DNN permissions - is this somewhere accessible through the web interface or I need to look into the database?

On the other note I have to say that I don't experience this type of problem while I use CKEditor and I can do anything I want with images.

Despite the widespread criticism over Telerik Editor I personally feel more comfortable with Telerik when working with content rather than with CKEditor though, so I am still trying to get this work.
Coordinator
Sep 25, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Sep 25, 2015 at 2:16 PM
@2sicDev

What you have done is outstanding even though it did not solve my problem. In fact yesterday I did all these things you show in the video.
If CKeditor can parse the folders and access the files then RAD Editor should be able to do this as well. So it is something else.

Thank you for your great support!
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:04 PM
Hopefully DNN replaces the telerik file chooser with something closer to the DAM module. I dislike both the ck and telerik chooser. 2sxc could replace it with their own file chooser/image uploader if they choose, but it's just another thing that could break.

Do you have issues with a regular HTML module?
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:11 PM
Yeah, CK file chooser opens for me in a separate tab, which is not good. RAD opens as a window on top of the same tab. However, I believe, the RAD file chooser's window size is fixed and I am sure everyone may want to adjust the window size.

What do you mean by regular HTML module? Is there a DNN native HTML editor? I have only 2 choices in the HTML editor options - CK and RAD.
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2015 at 12:59 PM
@ascar actually we "hate" the html module, but the CK wouldn't change much. it solves the wrong problems because it places a powerful html-tool into the hands of technically unexperienced users. so...

@ech01 and @ascar we could create our own file manager of course - but it's a lot of work :)

At the moment we're actually trying something different - something where the user doesn't have to manage files at all - which is probably the better approach for 80% of all cases - stay tuned :)