Feature request: add class names to fields

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:53 PM
It would be great if we could specify css classes to fields. That way we can target the entry form fields.

Use case: I have a dropdown that I want to change to an icon chooser. The icons are font icons. Using js and css, I can accomplish this, but the identifier for the drop down is like dnn_ctr562_EditContentGroup_ctl11_ctl01_ctl01_DropDown1

That is all. Keep up the great work!
Sep 24, 2015 at 9:12 AM
This is very simple to do. just create a dropdown and add the value of the dropdown to the css. :)
so your output would be something like <span class="[Content:Icon]"></span>
Sep 24, 2015 at 2:52 PM
Sorry I did not explain very well. I can add icons to select dropdowns using jquery. I'm just asking for an option to add a class to the control, or any control when editing content. It could be in the general settings for the field in the field designer. It would make it easier to target, rather than by the ID

Thanks!
Sep 24, 2015 at 2:55 PM
Yeah I would like this as well

I have managed to target specific elements by there id but that would need to be redone every time its installed somewhere else. would be very nice to have the entityname somewhere in teh class for the textbox dropdown etc so that it cab be targeted in a more general way
Sep 24, 2015 at 3:39 PM
Just to get what you want...

...you're trying to modify the edit-dialog? is this correct? not the output in the user-page...
Sep 24, 2015 at 3:50 PM
correct I want to create custom styled specifc inputs in the edit dialog and that would be easier and more reusable if we can target an element by something more general than its id like an entity name
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2015 at 4:17 PM
Gotcha. Note that we're doing a crazy refactoring of the entire UI - the new one will be completely 100% angularJS based.

As of now we have not yet defined all the extension points - we simply haven't had time to specify all that. But any change you apply now of course won't work then, because it just wont contain any aspx at all.

Please just keep that in mind :).
Sep 29, 2015 at 2:59 PM
I will refactor after you refactor.
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM
Sounds good. I'll work on an extensibility concept to try to cover most needs. Can I guess that you will usually need
  1. Some CSS injection
  2. Some specific overrides (like a special reg-ex on a specific field in an app)
  3. the ability to create custom inputs
Oct 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM
Yeah that will work for anything I can think off

simple css to target an input field to apply a tiny script or something to make the ux nicer

custom inputs have been on my wishlist since the beginning like have a dropdown input but take the values from like a jsonp call or a sql query or have like a color selector or something more fancy

Armand