Best way to upgrade installed app?

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:50 AM
What's the best or recommended way to upgrade an existing 2sxc app that is running on a production server if I've got a new version exported from my development environment?
Sep 22, 2015 at 10:03 AM
Hi

You cannot upgrade an app by installing it the best way is doing the modifications on the life app and then copying over the templates

If there are new content types ( not modified ones ) you can export this from the old app and them import in the new app purely as content. But I only do that if it would take a lot of time to do this by hand

Armand
2DNN
Marked as answer by jlscott on 9/24/2015 at 11:20 PM
Sep 24, 2015 at 9:11 AM
@jlscott - in most cases you'll want to selectively copy / paste / migrate the parts which you want, since you usually don't want to replace the data on live.

If you want to replace everything, an option is simply to delete the app on live, and export/install it again. The App-Guid stays the same, so most modules which referred to it, will just pick up the new app. This may fail though if you renamed templates or similar, then the modules showing the app will show an error and you'll have to re-select the template.
Marked as answer by jlscott on 9/24/2015 at 11:20 PM