Upgrade from 7.2.3 to 8.0.7 goes through but blows up DNN

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM
I tried to upgrade my app but once the upgrade was done the site was super slow and none of the modules would load. Everything was broken.

I was hoping to upgrade to get rid of that error with the returnUrl query string value.

Has any one had luck with an earlier version of 8? And did that bug get fixed?

Thanks
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2015 at 8:37 AM
The returnurl bug is fixed.

As for the other issues they are not known. from what we see everything is super fast and "just works" - so no known issues there
Dec 6, 2015 at 11:58 PM
But is 2sxc really working with DNN 8? I tried to install latest version on a fresh DNN8 installation and get this as soon as I try to add "App" to an empty page
Error: App is currently unavailable. DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: The base class includes the field 'frGettingStarted', but its type (System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl) is not compatible with the type of control (System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlIframe). ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The base class includes the field 'frGettingStarted', but its type (System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl) is not compatible with the type of control (System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlIframe). ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The base class includes the field 'frGettingStarted', but its type (System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl) is not compatible with the type of control (System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlIframe). at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildFieldDeclaration(ControlBuilder builder) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildSourceDataTreeFromBuilder(ControlBuilder builder, Boolean fInTemplate, Boolean topLevelControlInTemplate, PropertyEntry pse) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildSourceDataTreeFromBuilder(ControlBuilder builder, Boolean fInTemplate, Boolean topLevelControlInTemplate, PropertyEntry pse) at System.Web.Compilation.TemplateControlCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildMiscClassMembers() at System.Web.Compilation.BaseCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildSourceDataTree() at System.Web.Compilation.BaseCodeDomTreeGenerator.GetCodeDomTree(CodeDomProvider codeDomProvider, StringResourceBuilder stringResourceBuilder, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.GenerateCode(AssemblyBuilder assemblyBuilder) at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.AddBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.AddBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath) at ToSic.SexyContent.ViewApp.Page_PreRender(Object sender, EventArgs e) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2015 at 5:52 AM
Currently not tested for dnn 8, as it's still a beta. We'll wait till it's out because it too much work to try to keep up with a moving target.

This specific issue is reported a lot - it's a .net framework incompatibility which will be easy to fix.
Dec 7, 2015 at 5:56 AM
If it hadn't for WebAPI 2 problems with current DNN 7 we wouldn't have touched DNN8 yet either but otherwise we would have needed to manually update quite a few DLLs to reach "2015 levels". We aren't scheduled to release for a few months by which we hope that DNN 8 will be released or at least more stable than today. But thanks for sharing info about 2sxc not being DNN8 ready yet, which is in line with expectations as DNN8 still seem to be quite shaky as you mentioned.
Dec 7, 2015 at 7:01 AM
improwise wrote:
If it hadn't for WebAPI 2 problems with current DNN 7 we wouldn't have touched DNN8 yet either but otherwise we would have needed to manually update quite a few DLLs to reach "2015 levels". We aren't scheduled to release for a few months by which we hope that DNN 8 will be released or at least more stable than today. But thanks for sharing info about 2sxc not being DNN8 ready yet, which is in line with expectations as DNN8 still seem to be quite shaky as you mentioned.
Does 2sxc for DNN7 perhaps solve this problem or is it still manual upgrade of DLLs that is required with modern WebAPI projects? I'm guessing that there isn't much 2sxc can do about that but I hope to be wrong :)
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2015 at 9:30 AM
I don't know yet - we'll see :).

DNN 8 should come middle of Jan - we'll see what we can do till then.