Help with "The specified path, file name, or both are too long." error?

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:56 PM
When I try to export or import an app into my production site (from an export I made from a staging site where everything worked just fine), I get the following error:

Could not import the app / package: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

I'm assuming this is related to where my DNN install is sitting in the file directory of my server. What path should I be looking for that is too long when I try to import the zip file for the app import? Is it a temp folder somewhere? I realize this is probably not an issue with the module itself, but some configuration on my Windows server (which is admittedly a little out of my skillset to solve, but am hoping to get some info to pass along to our other developers) so any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Jul 23, 2015 at 7:23 AM
Yes, this is a windows limitation.

Please check what the root path length is - on your dev environment it might be c:\dev\project x\ while on your live server it may be much deeper.

you mention that export/import both fail. Could you explain that? export from the production or export from dev?

BTW the temp folder lies within desktopmodules/tsic_... etc. so it's a bit longer.

Do you have very deep folder structures in your app?
Jul 23, 2015 at 1:41 PM
Thanks. I forgot to update this thread. It was actually an image uploaded by a user that was being exported along with the content that had a crazy long name. Now I know to check the actual user-generated files next time I do this :) Thanks again.
Aug 5, 2015 at 7:57 AM
You're welcome :)

Note also that if you referr to the files with the file:72 syntax, then you can actually move the file within DNN and the links will still work :)