Multi-Language setup

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:20 PM
I have a question about using 2sxc for a site we are doing a multi-lingual conversion for. My plan was to replace all the content with 2sxc. I have enabled the languages in DNN: English & Spanish. DNN created new pages for the second language.

I've worked on just one other multi-lingual site before and that was using DNN's default capabilities. For this new project, I added a 2sxc module to the English page and entered the content for both languages. BTW, those features of copying and linking are awesome.

By using the language skin object I switch the language to spanish, and it goes to the spanish page where 2sxc doesn't exist.

I must have missed something very obvious being a newb at this. Do I have to copy the 2sxc module to the spanish page? What would be your method to implement (retrofit) a DNN site for Multi-Language?
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2015 at 8:40 AM
@ech01

Basically each 2sxc-module has an internal reference to a an App-id & a ContentGroup which contains
  • the template to show
  • the list of content-items assigned to this module, sorted as the user had wanted it
  • optional items like presentation, list-headers etc.
When going ML, each translated page needs a 2sxc module having the same ContentGroup. This happens automatically, when you tell DNN to copy the modules across translations. This is easy to do when activating a new language (then it's a one-step-does-all-pages), otherwise you can always re-do it. I don't know about bulk-re-copying, but at page-settings level you can always go in again and have the modules re-copied.

If you need more detailed instructions (this isn't a 2sxc issue, it's general dnn-multilanguage handling) then I would be glad to help - if you would then create a mini-tutorial for the "next guy" :)
Jun 8, 2015 at 2:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will give it another try. I think that I did not link the module correctly in the page localization/copy function.
Sep 30, 2015 at 10:33 AM
hello,

i did this like you described above.
i copied the module through the language settings of the tab and then i have a 2sexy modul on the english tab (german are the default language) and then i choose the content type and the template but the module are empty. i thought that i should see the englisch content from the german tab.
i'm using 2sexy 7.2.3
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2015 at 3:25 PM
@dnastone

I'm not 100% sure but I'm afraid this could be a DNN bug. There are various Multilanguage bugs in DNN - most of them don't hurt us, but it might. Basically our modules need 1 information to sync across languages, and DNN may f*** up in certain versions.
Which DNN are you using? The currently most popular version is 7.3.4 AFAIK
Oct 1, 2015 at 4:19 PM
I am using dnn 7.3.4

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.10.2015 um 16:42 schrieb 2sicDev <[email removed]>:

@dnastone

I'm not 100% sure but I'm afraid this could be a DNN bug. There are various Multilanguage bugs in DNN - most of them don't hurt us, but it might. Basically our modules need 1 information to sync across languages, and DNN may f*** up in certain versions.
Which DNN are you using? The currently most popular version is 7.3.4 AFAIK
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2015 at 7:23 AM
I think I see what went wrong. I believe you created the module copies before initializing the module. So there was no "content-group" created yet to share, and there was nothing in the module settings yet. assuming you now have EN text entered, just delete the DE copies and re-create them using the normal dnn-steps. That should solve it.
Oct 5, 2015 at 2:14 PM
hello,

i created at first the app modul at the german page and created two entries. then i copyed the module throught the tabs settings of dnn to the english tab but there is no content displayed.
Coordinator
Oct 9, 2015 at 8:05 AM
@dnastone - I can't guess the answer, but I'll ask Raphael to look at this on Monday - he's more experienced with "on-site issues"
Developer
Oct 12, 2015 at 8:47 AM
This is a DNN issue which affects DNN > 7.3.3: https://dnntracker.atlassian.net/browse/DNN-6546
We are also effected by the issue and usually solve the problem by 'referencing' the modules from the default language (use exactly the same module in two languages). You can do this in page settings > localization tab.
Oct 12, 2015 at 12:27 PM
i installed dnn 7.4.2 and with that dnn version it works.
it is a dnn bug