how to prevent a user from changing the module's template

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Edited Jun 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM
When the module is configured in list mode, is it possible to prevent a user with edit permission from changing the module's template, or otherwise, from deleting the last item in the list (leaving the list empty and causing the list box to show, letting the user change the template)?
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM
To prevent users from editing templates you can easily create a role and only add the users to it that should edit templates - like this:
http://swisschecklist.com/en/fwttmwjx/2Sexy-Content-Hide-advanced-features-from-Content-Editors-with-Designer-Security-Role
Sep 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM
If you assign 'edit' permission to an user, in order to let him modify the content, he can remove all the items from the list. Once the list is empty, the 'choose template' list boxes are shown and the user can select a different template. It would be nice to prevent users from removing the last item, or (would be very nice) to let the user to choose from a subset of templates for a particular module.
Sep 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Sounds like separate Author, Publisher, Admin type roles
Feb 22, 2014 at 1:35 AM
Hello I am trying to get the permissions all worked out so that only the people I want can edit the templates. It doesn't seem to be working as expected.

I followed the instructions on the checklist provided by 2SicDev, added the role, and put my user in the role.
The user is also an administrator.

When the user is not in the group, they only see the option to "Edit" so they aren't able to access the templates. That's great.

The problem is that when I remove the user from the group, the option to edit the template shows up, but when I use it, the only visible button is the Cancel button. When I am logged in with my superuser account I see both the Update and Cancel buttons.

Why is the Update button only available to the SuperUser? Is this expected?

I am using 5.4

Thanks
Coordinator
Feb 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Probably a half-bug.
The group "...Designers" only reacts when a user is added. So if it's empty, the buttons appear. but I guess there is additional checking which removes it again. In general just make sure that you have some users in the ...Designers group, that's the way it's meant to work.

Did this help?
Daniel
Feb 25, 2014 at 5:33 PM
Absolutely helps.
After putting one of my test users in the group, adding and removing other users from that group causes the expected behavior.